Me & My Boy

Sunday, November 18, 2007

Hey Turkey!

Thanksgiving is on its way! In homeschooling news, I am using a teacher's resource book called "Land I Love", that teaches kid-friendly history. I've been teaching Jamie about Thanksgiving this month, and its been a lot of fun. He's looked at maps and globes to chart the Pilgrims journey, he's colored papers of Pilgrims, he's made a construction paper recreation of the Mayflower (picture to come), and I *think* he understands the concept of why the Pilgrims came to America. Even though, when watching a commercial for the movie "Madagascar", it mentioned that the island was off the coast of Africa, and Jamie turns to me and says, "Mom, that's where the Pilgrims came from!" Hmmm, not quite son, but thanks for trying!:) This week we'll tackle the reason they had Thanksgiving and the help the Indians gave the settlers. I'm a little irritated that in this resource book they show a picture of "savages" (mean looking ugly creatures) for the kids to color, when I will be teaching Jamie, that although some Indians attacked the settlers, that they did so to protect their own people, and that the Indians were around first. And also, that the settlers brought diseases that killed a good number of Indians. I know that in most public and even private schools that children are being taught that the Indians were savage and scalped the Pilgrims and were basically "enemies" from day 1. but I don't want Jamie to go into learning about this without thinking from both sides of the situation. The joy of homeschooling, is that I can teach him the views that I think are correct.
In other news my Ebay journey has proved very fruitful and I am excited to have some extra spending money for the holidays! I also found an item for Jamie at Target yesterday that has not been at ANY store, and has been sold out online. It was selling for upwards to $25 + shipping on Ebay and I got it for $14.99. I was thrilled with the find.:)
I hope that whoever is reading this has a wonderful Thanksgiving week, full of family, friends, great food, and some relaxation!
posted by ~*~Hallie~*~ at 8:43 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home